Saturday, November 15, 2008

Well, now I'm in Georgetown, time to R&R

November 15, 2008 My 64th Birthday

I've arrived in Georgetown...time to do some exploring, sightseeing and visiting. I checked into the Residence Inn where I frequently stay. It is always nice to come her. The staff is friendly, always remembers me and makes me feel right at home. I called Maggie and asked her to join me for dinner, called friends and began my holiday in Guyana.

One of my goals was to return to Guyana twice a year to visit different parts of the country, so this time I've decided to explore some of the Demerara River. Captain Gerry Gouveia who owns the hotel also owns Arrow Point Eco-lodge on the Pokerero River, one of the tributaries of the Demerara. I made arrangements to go to Arrow Point for 3 days.

While at the lodge, I had the opportunity to explore the surrounding rivers by myself, went mountain bike riding with Ricardo Allicock, visited the Amerindian Village of Santa Mission and watched a British Army Lynx helicopter land in a damn small opening in the forest...that boy could drive a chopper.

Arrow Point is a nice lodge...but its close proximity to Georgetown makes it a nice weekend getaway for locals. So, it becomes a bit (or a lot) more crowded and noisy than I like. I did make one great find at Arrow Point...I met Mike Patterson whose advice for my next journey would be invaluable.

Now it is back to Georgetown to visit friends, pick up my suit (the subject of my next blog) and plan the next leg of my stay in Guyana.

No comments:

Post a Comment